Lysine Aid is an L-Lysine supplement to aid the management of Feline Herpes (FHV-1) in kittens and cats. Lysine administration can help inhibit replication of the Feline Herpes Virus (FHV-1) and can be used to aid management of FHV-1 infection.
Feline rhinotracheitis virus (feline herpesvirus type 1 or FHV-1) causes acute respiratory illness known as rhinotracheitis (or feline herpesvirus infection). The virus affects domestic and wild cats worldwide. FHV-1 is the most common world-wide feline viral infection, affecting an estimated fifty per cent of household cats.
- Kittens, especially those born to infected mothers
- Multi-cat households, catteries and pet adoption shelters
- Physical or psychological stressors
- Poor nutrition, sanitation ventilation
- Pregnant cats that are lactating
- Sick cats
– (especially illness associated with a weakened immune system or other respiratory infection)
- Unvaccinated cats
Vaccinations are available for these viruses, and although not 100% effective in preventing disease, the vaccine can reduce the severity of the “flu” and make it less likely to be transmitted to other cats. Antibiotics are used to prevent secondary bacterial infections. Some veterinarians have found success with Interferon, which helps to boost the immune system. Positive results have also been found with the administration of L-Lysine in a dosage of 250-500 mg twice a day. It has also been shown that L-Lysine supplementation in cats limits the intensity of both virus shedding and clinical signs of herpes virus infection.
- Reduce risk factors e.g. avoid over population
- Ensure good hygienic practises are followed in the cattery
- Isolate newborn kittens until vaccination is effective
- Institute a regular vaccination programme
- Sneezing “attacks”
- Discharge from the nose and eyes
- Conjunctivitis or pink eye (inflammation of the eyelid)
- Lesions in and around the eyes
- Eye ulcers
- Loss of appetite
|Crude Oils & Fats||0.1%|
|Calorific Value (Kcal/100 g)||219 kcal|
How and when to use
Lysine Aid should be given during stressful periods. Use Lysine Aid as soon as possible for best results. Ideally Lysine Aid should be given for one week before periods of stress and for at least 2 weeks afterwards.
|Cats:||2 ml twice daily|
|Kittens:||1 ml twice daily|
Usage Notes: Apply to cat’s paw or add to food. 1 Pump = 2ml.
Packs & Sizes
|Product Name||Size||Included Measuring Device|
|Lysine Aid Feline Herpes Supplement||Salmon flavoured gel (50 ml)||oral measurements|